Do you know of a young person interested in becoming a MSYP for Highland?
Are you a young person interested in becoming a MSYP?
The Scottish Youth Parliament (SYP) represents Scotland’s young people. SYP has democratically elected members, aged 14-25 who listen to and recognise the issues that are most important to young people, ensuring that their voices are heard by decision makers. SYP encourage all of Scotland’s young people to play their part in achieving their vision and provide a national platform for their participation in democracy.
In Highland, there is the opportunity for 6 young people who are 14-25 years old to stand as MSYPs:
2 in Inverness and Nairn
2 in Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch
2 in Caithness, Sutherland and Ross
The SYP Elections Process is starting soon!
You can find information about all the different phases of the elections running from April until November 2021 at https://syp.org.uk/about-syp/syp-elections-2021/. There will be a separate page created for young people to access.
THE FIRST PHASE – April to June
The first phase is to inspire young people to stand as candidates. The SYP runs a controlled nomination system and those expressing an interest in candidacy must do so by completing a Candidate’s Expression of Interest (EOI) form (hosted on the SYP Elections Platform – www.syp.org.uk/elections, going live tomorrow)
Nominations will officially open on 1st April 2021 (tomorrow)
Deadline for Return of EOI forms is 30th June 2021
A communications pack and assets to help you promote the elections will be available from SYP at www.syp.org.uk/elections next week including
a promotional video about SYP and why young people should get involved, posters, leaflets, presentation, FAQs and SYP social media links to help us promote this opportunity to young people in Highland.
SYP Communications and engagement sessions contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
SYP’s general advice when inspiring people to stand is:
- Lead with the issues (pandemic, rights, education, mental health, environment, see SYP manifesto), helping to make positive changes for young people
- You don’t have to know loads about politics!
- ‘What’s in it for me?’
- Part of a community of brilliant young people across Scotland
- Learning and developing life skills and confidence (& great for the CV)
- A chance to have a genuine impact on a national level (what have SYP achieved – our campaigns)
- Opportunities to meet with politicians and decision makers at major events & on committees
TIMELINE summarised below and if you know of anyone who is interested in standing, please encourage them to contact us with any questions and to complete an ‘Expression of Interest form’
|1st April 2021||Expression of Interest||
• Nominations for expressions interest to be a candidate open.
|April/May 2021||Expression of Interest||Inspiring young people to stand as candidates
• organise promotion in schools, youth groups and other organisations.
• Young people complete expression of interest form.
• Promotional materials available.
• Young people complete initial training and meet with Named Election Coordinator.
|30th June 2021||Expression of Interest||
• The deadline for Candidates: Expression of Interest Forms is 5pm on 30th June 2021.